Middle School Leadership Academy
The primary objective of our Middle School Leadership Academy is to develop the capacity of school principals and leadership teams to advance student post-secondary success.
The one-year experience connects school leaders with the research, professional network, and practical strategies necessary to implement successful campus improvement initiatives.
Principals select up to four additional team members to participate in the collaborative experience.
During five sessions throughout the school year, leadership teams:
- LEARN how to transform and elevate your reading, writing and mathematics classrooms through research-based best practices
- BUILD skills for minute-to-minute student assessment and responsive teaching, instead of waiting for high-stakes, year-end results
- DEVELOP your school’s capacity to work as a high-functioning learning community, with a laser-like focus on high levels of learning for all students
- NETWORK with middle school teams from across the Houston region
- ANALYZE common dilemmas and discover successful solutions
Sessions are led by Houston A+ Challenge’s top-notch team of educators, who collectively have decades of experience leading successful school improvement efforts in districts across the Houston region and the nation.
In addition, teams benefit from the powerful A+ Network, through access to:
- LIKEMINDED PROFESSIONALS from a wide variety of districts and middle schools
- CROSS-SITE VISITS to give and receive peer-based implementation support
- NATIONAL THOUGHT LEADERS through A+’s provocative annual speaker series
- ONLINE DISCUSSION & RESOURCES through Network+, A+’s web-based professional networking portal
Following the one-year Leadership Academy, school teams are invited to apply to receive up to three years of intense, strategic, campus-based implementation support from Houston A+ Challenge’s team of experienced leadership and instructional coaches.
Schools selected to enter The Challenge Network benefit from hands-on, fully-integrated content coaching for reading, writing and mathematics faculty, and strategic capacity-building support for school leaders.
2013-14 MSLA Sessions
Session 1: October 1
Session 2: November 12
Session 3: January 28
Session 4: March 4
Session 5: May 6
To join our 2013-14 Academy cohort, apply online today.
Why We're Different
What's so special about Houston A+ Challenge professional learning sessions? We're glad you asked.
Questions We'll Tackle
How do I enhance rigor and increase student learning in my classrooms?
How can I infuse a new sense of commitment around raising expectations for all kids?
How do I integrate my faculty’s professional development to maximize impact?
How are other middle schools doing it better, stronger, or differently?
One year of support for the school principal and up to four additional team members is $2,000. Houston A+ Challenge subsidizes enrollment through private grants to reduce the cost per school.