Challenge Network Results
Early Successes from Pilot Year (2010-11)
- An independent analysis of student data by the Center for Education Evaluation and Policy Analysis at Penn State University “strongly suggests that the reform effort is having a positive impact on student performance.” Read the full report.
- 218 A+ Scholars reached the post-secondary readiness standard in the targeted subject. An additional 219 students came within one to four questions (out of 42-48) of achieving “commended” performance this year. All students continue to receive support to reach higher standards during this second year of implementation.
- At least 8 in 10 A+ Scholars surveyed reported that, because of their A+ Coach, they worked harder in class, don’t get into trouble as much, pay attention in class more, do better in class, understand the teacher better, and feel more confident about school.
Year Two Course Adjustments
- To ensure consistent buy-in by principals and teachers, A+ developed and launched the yearlong Middle School Leadership Academy in Fall 2011 to train, coach and empower future Challenge Network principals to lead the post-secondary readiness charge at their schools.
- To nurture sustainability, each CN school has identified at least one school-based performance coach who tracks and supports a new group of A+ Scholars and their teachers, and who will help continue the change effort once A+ departs.
- Recognizing new research correlating traits such as persistence, creativity and social intelligence with post-secondary success, A+ has redoubled efforts to help students identify and adopt the scholarly behaviors that will help them achieve their goals.
By The Numbers
- 2011-12 is YEAR 2 of our Challenge Network pilot cohort
- A+ works with up to 300 students per school – for a total of nearly 1,800 A+ Scholars across the network
- More than 5,000 students total attend these schools. By strengthening teacher practice, we have the potential to impact all of these students, PLUS future students of A+ teachers
Accomplishments by School
- Atascocita Middle School, Humble ISD
- Caraway Intermediate, Aldine ISD
- Hoffman Middle, Aldine ISD
- Horace Mann, Goose Creek CISD
- O'Donnell Middle, Alief ISD
- YES Prep West, YES Prep Public Schools