Hoffman Middle School
Principal: Cheryl Matthews
A+ Coach: Lachanda Landry
745 students, grades 7-8
|Limited English Proficient||14%|
At Hoffman, A+ has helped educators establish the time, space and systems for helping students reach their goals. The principal credits A+ for a “culture shift” in the math department.
What We've Accomplished
- Many A+ Scholars at Hoffman have discovered a love of math as a result of the time, trust, and energy devoted to them by A+ coaches and tutors. The principal says the extra focus has raised students’ confidence levels and their own expectations of themselves.
- Hoffman’s new “A+ Room” has become a focal point for A+ Scholar tutorials and group meetings, and for teacher data analysis and collaborative planning.
- For the first time, the math department is planning units, lessons and assessments collaboratively, and utilizing interim student results to target interventions and enrichment that is student-specific.
What We've Learned
- Developing a flexible, data-based strategy for student interventions is vital, and maintaining constant, open communication between teachers and tutors is key.
- Extremely high student mobility can dampen the measurable effects of any student-focused reform effort. Of the 150 A+ Scholars who started the program at Hoffman in 2010, only 89 remain two years later.
- When a school leader’s campus goals and A+ program goals are clearly defined and well-aligned, A+ and its coaches can become part of the fabric of the school – leading to deeper adoption and sustainability.
Hoffman Middle School Results
|Number of A+ scholars||139|
|Number of A+ scholars scoring Commended (2009-2010)||1|
|Number of A+ scholars scoring Commended (2010-2011)||10|
|Number of A+ scholars missing Commended by 1 or 2 questions||7|
|Number of A+ scholars missing Commended by 3 or 4 questions||4|
|A+ Commended goal at end of Year 2 (2011-2012)||50|
Click here for year one results