Current Job Openings
About Houston A+ Challenge
Houston A+ Challenge strives to be a catalyst for change and a model for innovation in education in the Houston area and beyond. Our goal is to ensure that every student is prepared for post-secondary success. Houston A+ Challenge is currently coaching and consulting in 6 elementary schools, 20 middle schools, 3 high schools and 3 charter schools in 10 school districts.
About the Role
Houston A+ is looking to add to our team a full time or part-time ELA performance coach who will be deployed at school sites to drive student achievement while building teacher and skills specialist capacity. A+ coaches report directly to the Executive Director of Houston A+ Challenge.
Purpose of Job:
A+ coaches provide highly individualized feedback, guidance, and support to professionals who fulfill a variety of roles in public education, including teachers, campus-based specialists, school leadership and district leaders. Drawing on their experience and knowledge of research and best practices, our coaches work closely with these individuals to identify and build on existing strengths, pinpoint areas in need of development, build effective practices, and pursue strategies to increase student learning and success. The coach will also be responsible for identifying professional development needs in the teachers they support based on their observations, recommending them for specific teacher development sessions targeted to their needs, and providing ongoing capacity-building through individualized coaching.
General Scope of Responsibility:
- Analyze student data, including item analysis, to help design student groupings and differentiated instruction
- Design curriculum and lesson plans and develop instructional strategies in collaboration with teachers at the assigned school
- Analyze interim assessment data alongside teachers and be able to adjust instruction based on interim assessment data
- Maintain teacher data and observe their strengths and weaknesses, and provide individualized coaching and support for targeted teacher development
- Assist in designing and conducting targeted mini development sessions and recommending teachers in their school for sessions targeted to their needs
Essential Job Requirements:
The ideal candidate needs to be practical, results-focused and have an infectious can-do attitude. He/she needs to work well with and inspire teachers and be excited about diving into details and working with individual students. Affinity for working with data and for interim monitoring is a must. Knowledge of different instructional strategies and a demonstrated record in increasing student achievement towards post-secondary success is a must. Candidate should be an effective communicator with good interpersonal and collaboration skills. Prior experience in teaching and coaching literacy preferred.
Email resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.